Greenfields #55

Thank you for your years of service !
1953 to 2025

In 1988, in celebration of the first 250 years of the Township of Bern, “The Book of Bern, A History of Bern Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania, 1738-1988” was written by the Historical Committee and edited by Mimi Schmitt. This quote about the Greenfields Fire Company was written by Virginia Reese, a Bern resident.

“In 1952, 35 people met to organize the Greenfields Fire Company. Seeing a great need in the Greenfields mushrooming area, with the support of the other local fire companies, they organized with a small treasury, and gradually amassed enough money to purchase a used pumper for $150 on 1953. Chief of Reading Firemen, Russel Mogel, trained men and the West Lawn Fire Co. housed the pumper until a firehouse could be built in Greenfields.

In July, 1953, the company was formally accepted and through the constant enthusiastic work of the Women’s Auxiliary, and the contribution of H.H. Hollenbach Construction Co., an engine house with social quarters was built in Riveredge Acres on Boeing Avenue in 1954.

Through continuing drives and activities, funds were raised for a used Hahn Pumper in 1957, a slightly newer engine to replace the older used one! By 1964 a new apparatus was acquired. It was a John Bean pumper which cost more than $21,000. Again in 1969, the necessity for a brush truck with four-wheel drive was very evident. It was needed to go into fields and through brush. So expensive was it that the firemen decided to build one themselves. With a four-wheel drive pick up with dual wheels and a utility body, they added pumps, water tank and hoses. The truck was estimated to cost $15,000 but the firemen made theirs for $8,000, saving nearly half the cost!

By 1974, the need for a larger engine house was being felt. A new pumper was also needed, but a new home was the first priority. For ten years, money was raised through various efforts and then with $80,000 and the help of Township funds, plans were started. In 1985, the Greenfields Fire Co broke ground near the airport and Route 183 and a new building was finished in May 1987.

A large parade was held in August of 1987 for the dedication. There were 85 fire trucks, three Ladies Auxiliaries, one band, three majorette units and an Historical Committee Gruber Wagon. The fire company is now working diligently for a second pumper.

The fire company has two social programs to help the community each year: a Halloween parade, and a Christmas party for the community’s children. The membership totals 25 active firemen, with 400 social club members.

In 1986, with support from the community and the airport, a new firehouse was built on Route 183 (adjacent to the former concession building) and it was leased to the Greenfields #55 by Reading Airport for a nominal fee.